Description-and Activities of our organization
English / Croatian
The Municipality of Bedekovčina is located in the north-western part of Croatia, in the region of the best transport links in Croatia, only 40 km from the capital (Zagreb), 30 km from the Republic of Slovenia and close to Hungary and Bosnia and Herzegovina.
It belongs to Krapina – Zagorje County and continental part of Croatia. It consists of 15 villages, total of 8,079 inhabitants on the 54 km2.
The municipality is recognized by its complex of five lakes, clay site, and three castles from the 18th century. Bathing and recreational tourism is in its initial stages of development. Clay sites and very good transport connections contribute to the development of industry. In the municipality operate numerous cultural – artistic and voluntary associations, sports clubs and volunteer fire department which had achieved numerous national and international awards.
The aim of the municipality is sustainable development for the benefit of its citizens. The municipality participates in various projects related to the education of the population, preservation of natural resources, energy efficiency, and is involved in the project implementation ZEROWASTE PRO to educate and raise public awareness about the importance of waste management.
The Republic of Croatia has aligned its legislation with the EU regulations. Some of the waste management objectives are as follows:
- waste reduction,
- prevent uncontrolled waste management
- use of the valuable waste in material and energy purposes
- reducing the negative impact of disposed waste on the environment, climate and human health
- waste management based on the principles of sustainable development
Due to lack of funds the introduction of sustainable waste management on the national level is slowly implemented, but equally across the country. Some cities and municipalities have already introduced the collection of waste from door to door, most of them have set up containers for waste separation, and by the end of year 2018, cities and municipalities are obliged to remediate all waste landfills. The law also established the opening of regional waste management centers.
- Energy efficient kindergarten built
- Request for recovery of municipal waste submitted (deadline for recovery end of 2018)
- Bins for waste separation were set
- Project of positioning lakes of Municipality as a laboratory for the purpose of outdoor education on environmental protection was initiated
Municipality of Bedekovčina